There is a common misconception that California Lemon law covers only road vehicles. The California lemon law statute, called “Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act,” states that all consumer goods other than clothing and consumable goods with a valid warranty are covered by California’s law. Accordingly, California boat law covers all forms of watercraft, including vessels, motorboats, sailboats, yachts, jet skis, catamarans.
Driving a defective vehicle may have disastrous consequences. The same refers to defective boats and watercraft with serious safety hazards. As you are dealing with open water, defects concerning to communication system, navigation system or engine may have a fatal outcome. This is why it is advisable to take the necessary steps to qualify your boat under the lemon law.
How to “Lemon” a Boat?
If your boat purchase turns out to be a “lemon”, the manufacturer is to either reimburse your costs or replace the boat. To win the case, your legal representative needs to prove that the boat qualifies under California lemon law for boats.
In order to win a case, you must prove the following points:
- The defect or problem on your boat impacts the use, value, or safety of your watercraft
- The defect or problem is covered by a manufacturer’s written warranty
- Multiple chances were given to the manufacturer’s authorized repair facility to fix the defect or problem
- The boat’s defects or problems were not caused by an accident or another form of consumer misuse
- The manufacturer or its authorized dealer was not able to fix the defect or problem within a reasonable amount of time.
It will be helpful for your case if you save the bill of sale from whomever you buy the boat and other copies of important documents. If the manufacturer refuses to reimburse, replace or repair the boat, the skillful lemon law attorneys at the Margarian Law Firm will help you file a claim against the manufacturer and get the compensation you deserve. The experienced and knowledgeable lemon law attorneys at the Margarian Law firm will ensure that you receive high-quality legal assistance and are protected by the California Lemon Law for boats.